Sunday was the day I planned to get started working on the various projects which lead up to the first assignment. The weather was dull and less than inspiring - not a great help. Nevertheless, I set out to the locations I felt where I could make a good start with the exercises. Brightlingsea came first.
"Focus with a set aperture" - made an attempt at this using a line of beach huts. Just could not get this right. The same with "Focus at different apertures". In both cases I could not make a significant difference - I can distinguish some difference in the latter, but simply not enough. The issue, I think is that I'm using a lens with an aperture which is not wide enough. I will need to retry with my 1.8 lens - don't leave it at home.
Moved on to Clacton where I discovered another fact - a telephoto can take minutes to stabilise. so many photographs which looked promising have camera shake - I just did not give the lens / camera combination to settle down and get rid of the vibrations before trigerring the cable release. Amazing learning point. In the 2 years of ownership of the lens, I had never used it on a tripod in such circumstances. Some photos are just OK and will appear in the blog, soon.
All in all several learning points on an otherwise disappointing day.
1. Use the "fastest" lens possible for demonstrating focus
2. For the lens I used, a 28-300mm, allow at least 2 minutes before triggering the shutter
3. Don't try and do too many exercises at one time. This leads to a diluted attempt in each case - due to pressure on time caused by fading light.